Eight Muslim-majority countries including the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia issued a joint statement on Sunday condemning Israel’s rejection of the Board of Peace roadmap for Donald Trump’s Gaza plan. They called the move a direct repudiation that jeopardizes implementation and undermines efforts for lasting peace.
The foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and the UAE released the text as Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, met mediators and Hamas officials in Cairo ahead of talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Eight Capitals Draw a Red Line on the Roadmap
The statement was blunt. The ministers said Israel’s rejection “amounts to a ‘direct repudiation’ of the peace plan, jeopardizes its implementation, and fundamentally undermines the collective efforts to achieve a just and lasting peace.”
Such rejection confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
They added that Israel “bears direct and full responsibility for any consequences resulting from its continued rejection, obstruction, delay or non-compliance.”
The eight signatories are:
- United Arab Emirates
- Saudi Arabia
- Egypt
- Jordan
- Qatar
- Türkiye
- Pakistan
- Indonesia
They stressed the roadmap, accepted by Palestinian factions, forms a vital milestone for concurrent weapons decommissioning and Israeli force withdrawal, plus deployment of an International Stabilization Force and transfer of administration to a National Committee for Gaza. They called on the Board of Peace and the United States to take immediate concrete measures to uphold the plan and prevent obstruction. They also rejected any attempt to deny Palestinian statehood and restated support for a two-state solution based on 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as capital.
Netanyahu’s Hard No to Phased Pullback
On August 9 Netanyahu told his cabinet that “Israel rejects the 15-point document.” He said the Israeli military “will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed and will continue to thwart threats against our forces and our citizens.”
The Board of Peace roadmap sought phased, reciprocal steps with verification: Hamas disarmament progressing alongside staged Israeli pullbacks rather than full disarmament first. A Board of Peace official had earlier indicated Israeli forces would not withdraw beyond a Yellow Line until weapons were fully decommissioned, yet Netanyahu still rejected the package.
| Element | Israeli Position | Roadmap Sequence |
|---|---|---|
| Withdrawal trigger | Full genuine Hamas disarmament first | Phased and concurrent with verified decommissioning |
| Military operations | Continue to thwart threats | Immediate cessation as process advances |
| Governance | No role for Hamas | Technocratic Palestinian committee under Board of Peace oversight |
| Verification | Israeli judgment of “genuine” | Independent monitors and Board process |
Trump had hailed a late-July breakthrough in which Hamas agreed to hand over weapons to a new Palestinian body. Netanyahu, facing October elections, voiced deep skepticism that Hamas would follow through.
Kushner Lands as Mediators Keep Talking
Kushner and Board of Peace Gaza envoy Nickolay Mladenov met Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday. Hamas officials attended some sessions. Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya was also in Egypt and met Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad. Kushner earlier saw Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
A senior Israeli official said the pair were due to meet Netanyahu on Monday. Israel has expressed concern over any U.S. demand to end targeted strikes on Hamas figures as the group rebuilds. Israeli aircraft struck what the military called Islamic Jihad and Hamas fighters in Khan Younis and Nuseirat on Sunday. Medics reported at least five Palestinians wounded in a tent camp strike; one later died.
Key recent markers:
- More than 1,250 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza since the October 2025 ceasefire period, mostly civilians per available tallies
- Four Israeli soldiers killed by militants in the same window
- Strikes resumed after an earlier scale-back this month
Hamas called on mediators and the Board of Peace to compel Israel to meet first-phase obligations, end ceasefire violations, and approve the second-phase roadmap.
Gulf Partners Break From the Script
The UAE’s participation stands out. It is one of Israel’s closest Arab partners under the Abraham Accords. Saudi Arabia has pursued its own normalization track with Washington. Their joint language with Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Türkiye, Pakistan and Indonesia marks a rare public alignment against an Israeli decision on Gaza.
This is the second-order pressure. Netanyahu’s rejection protects his right flank ahead of elections but exacts a visible cost among states the United States has courted as guarantors and funders of postwar Gaza. The ministers urged sustained U.S. engagement “to ensure and enforce Israel’s full compliance.” They framed the roadmap as the product of extensive mediator work including Egypt, Qatar, Türkiye and the Board of Peace itself.
Observers on X noted the friction. Some called the statement hypocritical given energy and security ties. Others saw the UAE signature as a crack in the quiet cover Israel has enjoyed from Gulf partners on Gaza operations.
October Votes Hang Over the Standoff
Netanyahu’s Likud has struggled in polls ahead of the October 27 national election. A Kan News survey put the party at 23 seats, tied with Gadi Eisenkot’s Yashar. Netanyahu has campaigned against any narrow government that would include Arab parties.
Likud responded to the joint statement on X by saying the Arab countries want to topple Netanyahu so that rivals “will give them everything that they want.” The framing turns regional diplomacy into domestic election ammunition. It also echoes earlier Likud moves on election rules, including Likud’s earlier petition on voter hosting for citizens flying home.
White House officials have shown some willingness to give Netanyahu messaging leeway two months from a tough vote. Yet the public eight-nation rebuke, timed with Kushner’s shuttle, raises the price of continued hard-line rejection. Domestic Israeli tensions surface in other ways too, from coalition fights to incidents such as recent Jerusalem synagogue vandalism.
How the Board of Peace Roadmap Was Built
Trump’s original Comprehensive Plan is a 20-point framework. The Board of Peace, chaired by the president, was created to oversee implementation, reconstruction and transitional governance. A White House statement on the Board of Peace detailed its executive structure, High Representative Nickolay Mladenov, and the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza.
The full Board of Peace comprehensive plan text lays out deradicalization, hostage returns, amnesty for those who disarm, technocratic Palestinian administration under Board oversight, an International Stabilization Force, phased IDF withdrawal linked to demilitarization milestones, and a political horizon toward Palestinian self-determination.
- Late July 2026: Board of Peace announces historic agreement for complete Hamas disarmament; Trump calls it a major milestone.
- July 31 / early August: 15-point roadmap for implementation published; phased concurrent steps detailed.
- August 9: Netanyahu rejects the 15-point document in cabinet.
- August 16: Eight foreign ministers issue joint condemnation; Kushner and Mladenov meet mediators and Hamas in Cairo.
- August 17: Planned Netanyahu meeting with envoys.
A CFR overview of the twenty-point deal notes the Board’s broader ambitions, funding pledges (U.S. $10 billion commitment plus others), and the challenge of moving from ceasefire into governance and reconstruction while both Israel and Hamas test commitments.
Gaza’s Ground Reality Under the Pause
An October 2025 ceasefire halted major fighting after the war that began with Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack, yet Israeli strikes never fully stopped. Medics and Israeli figures give the post-ceasefire death tolls cited above. Reconstruction estimates have run into the tens of billions. The plan envisions rubble clearance, housing, aid scale-up, and a special economic zone once security holds.
Hamas has insisted Israel must first meet its own commitments on withdrawal and attacks. Israel insists on verified full disarmament first. The eight-nation statement places responsibility for further deterioration squarely on continued Israeli rejection. Kushner’s meetings and the Monday Netanyahu session will test whether the Board of Peace process can absorb the political shock or whether the roadmap stalls into the Israeli election campaign.
The regional price of the hard no is now public and multipolar. Netanyahu must weigh it against his domestic coalition needs with just weeks left on the clock.
