A weeklong settler siege around three Palestinian homes in Kusra, about 10 miles south of Nablus, left families without reliable water and power while Israeli forces staged incomplete clearances and Defense Minister Israel Katz ordered the IDF to plan a handover of civilian enforcement to police. The standoff, still unresolved in mid-August reporting, has produced unusual rebukes from the US ambassador and the Vatican and forced open a raw argument inside Israel over whether the state can still impose order on its own civilians in the West Bank.
The episode sits against a sharp rise in documented settler-related incidents and displacement this year, and against the deadly July clash in nearby Tell. What began as a local confrontation has become a test of governance that Israeli analysts say can no longer be deferred.
Three homes, a tent, and a week that would not end
The immediate crisis started Sunday, August 9, when settlers blocked access to three Palestinian homes on the outskirts of Kusra and put up a tent nearby. Residents said water and electricity were cut. The United Nations later reported about 15 Palestinians, including two children, trapped without running water or power.
By August 16 Reuters still described the homes as besieged and photographed Israeli forces outside one of them. The three properties belonged to families living in the same area, yet IDF statements often referred to “the Palestinian family” and “the house,” creating confusion over which structure the military meant.
- August 9: Settlers block access and establish a tent near three homes; utilities cut according to residents.
- August 12: Senior commanders visit; Border Police evacuate part of the tent; settlers later try to force a gate; troops use tear gas in clashes.
- August 13: IDF reinforces deployment for defensive missions and patrols; soldiers take positions around and inside several homes.
- August 14: Katz instructs the IDF to draft a civilian-enforcement transfer plan to police.
- August 16: Standoff continues; new tent activity reported and removed without final clearance.
Video reviewed by Reuters showed seven settlers outside one home on Friday. Another tent went up and came down without ending the pressure. Footage earlier in the week captured men in green military clothing joining morning prayers at the tent. The IDF spoke of “security personnel” and said disciplinary steps would follow, but the images raised immediate questions about impartial enforcement.
Commanders arrived. The tent came back.
On August 12 the head of IDF Central Command, the Judea and Samaria Division commander, and the Border Police district commander toured Kusra and nearby outposts. They spoke with one Palestinian family. The IDF told The Media Line the family reported electricity and water infrastructure at the house, and that Border Police had evacuated a tent in a closed military zone in Area B while the incident remained ongoing.
The Palestinian family later disputed the utilities claim. Political analyst Nidal Foqaha said such contradictions, paired with weak protection, erode trust in Israeli assurances. The IDF statement covered deployment and one home; it did not address every allegation about the other properties or individual personnel. Reuters said Israel Police and the military did not respond to Saturday requests for comment on earlier attack claims in Kusra.
Soldiers secured the area while Border Police handled civilian removal. Despite that division of labor, settlers remained or returned after troops pulled back. The military described the people at the tent as “Israeli civilians.” Reporting from the scene identified them as settlers.
Tell, the numbers, and a pattern that outruns one village
Kusra did not arrive in isolation. On July 24 a confrontation in Tell, roughly three miles southwest of Nablus, left four Palestinians and two Israelis dead. Palestinian authorities said settlers had come to attack. The IDF first called the Israelis hikers, then acknowledged some were armed and that gunfire came from both sides. Video reviewed by Reuters appeared to show Israelis pushing Palestinians with rifles before a weapon changed hands, though the agency could not independently authenticate every frame. Netanyahu ordered a broader security response; his office said settlement construction in the area would accelerate. The IDF reported 80 people questioned and 11 arrested afterward.
UN figures place the wider environment in stark terms. An OCHA humanitarian situation report documented over 3,200 Palestinians displaced in 2026 by settler attacks and demolitions for lack of Israeli-issued building permits, an average of 17 people per day, double the prior three-year daily rate. Settler attacks causing casualties or property damage ran at roughly six per day across more than 240 communities by early July, with the 2026 fatality count linked to such incidents already past the full-year 2025 total by late July.
- More than 1,200 settler-related incidents with casualties or damage by early July 2026
- About 6 such incidents per day on average
- Over 3,200 Palestinians displaced by attacks and permit-related demolitions
- 18 Palestinians killed in settler-attack contexts by 20 July, versus 17 in all of 2025
| Metric (2026, West Bank) | Figure | Source window |
|---|---|---|
| Settler incidents with casualties/damage | 1,200+ | OCHA to early July |
| Daily average of those incidents | ~6 | OCHA |
| Displaced by attacks + permit demolitions | 3,200+ | OCHA July report |
| Children among displaced (broader categories) | 1,500+ | OCHA |
| Settler-linked Palestinian fatalities | 18 by 20 July | OCHA / UN briefings |
A UK statement to the UN Security Council on August 11 cited more than 1,300 settler-related incidents affecting over 250 communities, around 900 injured and more than 3,200 displaced in the West Bank during 2026, with at least three Israelis killed and 24 injured. A separate UN briefing put the broader 2026 displacement near 3,800, nearly half children, and named settler attacks plus access restrictions as the leading driver in those categories.
Katz’s two-week order and the annexation argument
On August 14 Katz instructed the IDF to formulate a plan to transfer all civilian enforcement authority for Israeli communities and residents in the West Bank to Israel Police. He said the military should focus on counterterrorism, border defense and protecting communities while police handle civilian law and public order. No transfer has occurred; the order starts planning. Later reporting indicated a two-week window for a draft.
If carried out, police would take broader enforcement against Israeli civilians while the IDF kept the wider security environment. Police would still need IDF accompaniment in Areas A and B. Katz framed the change as strengthening governance and freeing the army for core missions.
The proposal immediately split opinion.
- Security officials quoted by Haaretz called it unworkable in practice.
- Human rights lawyer Michael Sfard told The Guardian a formal transfer could become a major step toward annexation, though Israel could also expand police powers inside the existing military framework; details matter and Katz has not released them.
- MK Gilad Kariv called the directive contrary to Israeli and international law and said it signaled troops not to act against “Jewish terrorism.”
- A senior police official told N12 that Katz should “learn how things work.”
- Palestinian vice-president Hussein al-Sheikh labeled it a flagrant violation and a move toward full annexation.
Sfard added that the army that reached Syria, Iran and Lebanon “cannot evacuate a few Jewish terrorists that invaded a Palestinian home,” calling the statement cowardly under scrutiny. The police fall under National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, a detail critics on X and in rights circles immediately highlighted as reason to doubt tougher enforcement against settlers.
Washington, the Vatican and a widening diplomatic bill
US Ambassador Mike Huckabee, long aligned with the Israeli right on settlements, issued an unusually sharp denunciation. He called the siege a “horrific act of terror,” described those responsible as “Israeli terrorists,” and said US officials had asked Israeli authorities to remove them. AP and Reuters reported Washington wanted Netanyahu to condemn the siege publicly. One of the homes belongs to a Palestinian-American family; that fact sharpened the US focus.
Pope Leo XIV, speaking after noon prayers at Castel Gandolfo, appealed for an end to the ongoing violence against the Palestinian civilian population in the West Bank and urged the international community to advance a two-state solution. He did not name Kusra.
EU foreign ministers had already linked Gaza humanitarian access to opposition to settlement expansion and settler attacks. Measures under discussion include possible bans or tariffs on settlement-origin goods, aimed at settlement activity rather than Israel as a whole. Foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas stressed the distinction. The cumulative effect is a broader problem for Netanyahu’s government: friction with Washington now runs from Gaza’s future to settler conduct and West Bank law enforcement.
Who pays for delayed decisions
Kobi Michael, senior researcher at the Institute for National Security Studies and the Misgav Institute, argued Israel has “willingly, and with its eyes open, lost governance in the West Bank.” The price, he told The Media Line, will hit both international standing and the legal, consensual settlement project, then the US administration.
We will eat the smelly fish and be thrown out of the city. We will have to suppress this growing radical and violent gang, dismiss reserve soldiers who cooperate with them, dismantle illegal outposts and farms, and pay the price.
Michael used the Israeli expression for suffering the consequences of avoiding a hard choice. He warned that failure to change policy and reality on the ground could drag Netanyahu into deeper trouble with the American administration, including President Trump, and even damage him electorally.
Foqaha tied Kusra and Tell to a wider pattern of settler violence and land seizure that Palestinians read as implementation of plans to consolidate control, displace communities and close off a viable two-state map. He warned that continued attacks on homes and agricultural land could widen into open confrontation between villagers and settlers. The approaching olive harvest, when farmers must reach land near settlements and outposts, is the next pressure point. Without credible prevention and access, he said, the situation could deteriorate rapidly.
These arguments echo an earlier reckoning over West Bank detention policy and sit beside settlement expansion steps such as a recent tender for 627 homes locking a Jerusalem-Ramallah corridor. The institutional question is no longer abstract.
What the army still promises and what remains open
The IDF’s August 12 statement said security forces would continue to operate firmly and responsibly to improve the situation, uphold law and order, and prevent recurrence. Troops remained in Kusra after the commanders’ visit. Clearance of the settlers was not complete in subsequent days of reporting. Crowd accounts on X described the siege stretching past ten days, with settlers still moving near the homes and at least one report of sabotage to a water heater. A Palestinian-American relative who reached the site noted forces shaking hands with settlers rather than making arrests.
Whether Katz’s planning process produces real police capacity, clearer rules of engagement, or simply another layer of shared responsibility will decide if Kusra becomes a turning point or another data point. The olive harvest is weeks away. The diplomatic ledger is already open. The smelly fish, in Michael’s phrasing, is on the table.
