Mahan Air Flight to Sanaa Exposes Saudi Arabia’s 2023 Iran Deal

A Mahan Air wide-body jet descended into Sanaa before dawn on July 3, 2026, and Saudi fighter jets that tried to stop it turned back under Houthi fire. Identified by flight-tracking screenshots as Mahan Air flight IRM1199, the Airbus A340-300 carried more than 200 patients and a Houthi delegation bound for Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s funeral in Tehran. Saudi warplanes entered Yemeni airspace at 5:20 am, Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said, and Houthi air defence missiles drove them off. One predawn flight, and a hole punched clean through the security architecture Saudi Arabia’s 2023 deal with Tehran was supposed to guarantee.

What Happened in the Pre-Dawn Hours Over Sanaa

The aircraft, an Airbus A340-300, appeared on commercial flight-tracking systems between 02:01 and 02:23 UTC on Friday, according to the flight-tracking review that identified the Mahan aircraft. Approaching Sanaa from the east, it came in over the same airspace Israel had hit with airstrikes two months earlier. The plane had been expected the day before, but the flight was postponed, and the Houthi delegation reportedly returned to the airport after the delay before coming back once the renewed arrival was confirmed.

On Friday morning, Yahya Saree said Saudi warplanes entered Yemeni airspace at 5:20 am in what he described as an attempt to prevent the Iranian civilian aircraft from landing. Houthi air defence fire drove them off, he added. Major-General Turki al-Maliki, the Saudi-led coalition’s spokesperson, did not confirm the interception attempt but pledged a strong response. No specifics.

The flight was the first publicly confirmed Iranian civilian aircraft to land in Sanaa in roughly a decade. Yemen’s internationally recognised Presidential Leadership Council condemned the landing as a violation of Yemeni sovereignty and a defiance of United Nations Security Council resolutions. From Riyadh, the council called on the UN and regional partners to take deterrent measures.

  • Aircraft: Mahan Air IRM1199 / W51199
  • Type: Airbus A340-300
  • Approach: 02:01 to 02:23 UTC, from the east
  • Payload: 200+ stranded Yemeni patients
  • Plus: Houthi delegation bound for Khamenei’s funeral

From Beijing to the Mosalla, How the 2023 Saudi-Iran Deal Set This Up

Ali Khamenei was killed on 28 February 2026 in joint US-Israeli airstrikes on Tehran. His state funeral, postponed from earlier in the year, opened in Iran days before the Sanaa flight landed, according to diplomatic reporting cited in the Indian press. Four months between death and burial.

The funeral runs across two countries. Ceremonies at the Imam Khomeini Mosalla in Tehran began on 4 July and continued through 5 July, according to reporting cited in the Indian press. On 7 July, Qom; on 8 July, the Iraqi holy cities of Najaf and Karbala; on 9 July, the final burial in Mashhad at the Imam Reza shrine. Iran has warned the United States and Israel against attacks during the funeral processions.

Underneath those ceremonies, the March 2023 Beijing agreement brokered by China re-opened Saudi-Iran diplomatic ties for the first time in seven years. Riyadh bet on engagement.

Three years on, an Iranian Mahan Air jet has landed at a Houthi-controlled airport under cover of a funeral visit, after Saudi warplanes were driven off. The kingdom’s restraint, codified by the Beijing agreement, is the air-conditioned corridor through which the flight moved. Even the Israeli airstrikes on Sanaa airport on 6 May, which the Houthis said caused $500 million in damage to the terminal, control tower and three Yemenia Airways planes, did not keep the runway closed for long. Within ten days, the Houthis claimed to have restored the airport.

Date Event
6 to 10 March 2023 Iran-Saudi normalisation summit in Beijing, brokered by China
28 February 2026 US-Israeli airstrikes kill Khamenei in Tehran
8 April 2026 US-Iran ceasefire, brokered by Pakistan
6 May 2026 Israeli airstrikes destroy Sanaa airport terminal
Mid-June 2026 Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding signed; 60-day framework
3 July 2026 Mahan Air flight lands at Sanaa, departs with Houthi delegation

Why One Civilian Aircraft Is a Military Problem

Mahan Air was sanctioned by the US Treasury in 2011 for providing financial, material and technological support to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force. Into a war zone, a civilian flight by that operator is not routine.

Western navies have spent years intercepting Iranian dhows in the Bab el-Mandeb and the Gulf of Aden, seizing missile components and explosive precursors before they reach Sanaa. An aircraft operating under the banner of humanitarian or diplomatic transport creates legal cover those warships cannot easily break. By the numbers, the direct air distance between Tehran and Sanaa sits at roughly 2,300 to 2,400 kilometres, well within the range of a single A340 sortie. Saudi airspace cannot close that gap quickly.

The 3 July landing establishes a template. Future Tehran-Sanaa runs can repeat the pattern under civilian markings, carrying passengers who are also couriers and components that are also luggage. And Saudi Arabia’s failure to enforce its own airspace on Friday removes the one check that might have slowed the pipeline.

  • Replenishment speed outpaces the naval interdiction regime in the Bab el-Mandeb and Gulf of Aden
  • Senior Iranian military advisors and precision components can move by air without maritime seizure risk
  • Civilian-flagged aircraft create a legal shield that warships cannot easily challenge

The Three Red Lines Saudi Arabia Let Slip

The signs of slippage came in sequence. In May, the Houthis and the Saudi-backed Yemeni government concluded their largest prisoner exchange, which included seven Saudi nationals. Friday brought another: Saudi warplanes failed to intercept an Iranian airliner over Sanaa. The coalition’s pledge of an unprecedented response came Saturday, hours after the flight had already landed and departed.

The gap between Riyadh’s words and what its air force let through is the core of the story. Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council said the flight violated Yemeni sovereignty and defied UN Security Council resolutions. Twelve hours after the plane had cleared Yemeni airspace, the Saudi-led coalition’s pledge of an unprecedented response arrived.

We warn the criminal Saudi enemy against repeating any attempt to violate our airspace or any aggression targeting our country. Such actions will be met with a comprehensive response targeting its airports and vital interests on land and sea.

Yahya Saree, the Houthi military spokesman, delivered the warning in a televised statement on July 3, 2026, as covered in the Houthi warning of retaliation against Saudi airports.

What This Flight Changes for Israel and the Red Sea

Israel has spent months trying to break the Houthi arsenal by targeting the airport it now uses. Israeli airstrikes on Sanaa airport on 6 May destroyed the main terminal, control tower, tarmac and three Yemenia planes, with the Houthis estimating $500 million in damage, but the Houthis reopened the runway ten days later. On 3 July, a Houthi delegation walked through the rebuilt terminal to board a sanctioned Iranian carrier. The strikes degraded the runway; the air bridge held.

The Houthis have attacked shipping lanes and international trade in the southern Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the Saudi-led coalition says. Separately, the group announced a naval blockade on Israel’s Port of Haifa, regional reporting shows.

A replenished Houthi arsenal, fed by civilian flights from Tehran, changes the Israeli interception calculus. Warships can stop a dhow carrying missile components; they cannot safely turn back an airliner carrying 200 patients and a delegation. The Israeli defence establishment must now plan for a Houthi supply chain that moves at the speed of an Airbus rather than the pace of a smugglers’ skiff. So airliners are harder to intercept.

  • Sanaa airport damage: $500M from Israeli strikes on 6 May 2026
  • First Iranian civilian landing: in roughly a decade
  • Saudi jets intercepted: 5:20 am Yemen time on 3 July 2026
  • Coalition response pledge: “unprecedented determination and force”

What Comes Next at Islamabad

The next test sits two days after the Mashhad burial. According to the diplomatic calendar for the next round of US-Iran talks, US-Iran technical talks are scheduled for 11 July in Islamabad, advancing the sixty-day framework of the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding signed in mid-June. Pakistan and Qatar mediate.

The Mahan flight lands days before those negotiations are due to start. Tehran’s working delegation will include officials returning from Khamenei’s funeral alongside negotiators heading to Islamabad, and a plane that can carry a Houthi delegation to Tehran can carry precision components back. Saudi Arabia brokered nothing in this chain; its air force failed to intercept the Mahan flight, and the coalition’s pledge of an unprecedented response came twelve hours after the plane had left Yemeni airspace. As a separate signal, the Houthi delegation’s arrival at the Imam Khomeini Mosalla on 4 July says Tehran’s proxy network is operating openly through civilian airframes while the United States and its allies try to negotiate sanctions relief in Islamabad. The funeral’s final burial is in Mashhad on 9 July; the technical talks open two days later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *