If you are looking for a quick and easy lunch idea that is packed with flavor, you might want to try these Tuscan chicken wraps. They are made with rotisserie chicken, creamy mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and a homemade sun-dried tomato mayonnaise that will make your taste buds sing. You can make them in just 20 minutes and enjoy them hot or cold.
What are Tuscan chicken wraps?
Tuscan chicken wraps are inspired by the flavors of Tuscany, a region in Italy known for its cuisine. Tuscan food is simple, fresh, and rustic, using ingredients like olive oil, garlic, herbs, cheese, and tomatoes. These wraps combine some of these elements in a convenient and portable way.
What do you need to make Tuscan chicken wraps?
To make these wraps, you will need the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise: This is the base of the sauce that adds creaminess and moisture to the wraps. You can use regular or light mayonnaise, depending on your preference.
- Basil: This herb adds freshness and aroma to the sauce. You can use fresh or dried basil, but fresh is always better.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: These are tomatoes that have been dried in the sun or in an oven, which concentrates their flavor and sweetness. They add a burst of color and tanginess to the sauce. You can use sun-dried tomatoes that are packed in oil or dry ones that have been rehydrated in water.
- Parmesan: This is a hard cheese that has a nutty and salty flavor. It adds depth and richness to the sauce. You can use finely grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Oregano: This is another herb that adds flavor and fragrance to the sauce. You can use fresh or dried oregano, but again, fresh is always better.
- Scallion: This is a type of onion that has a mild and sweet flavor. It adds crunch and freshness to the sauce. You can use the white and green parts of the scallion, finely sliced.
- Garlic: This is a bulb that has a pungent and spicy flavor. It adds a kick and aroma to the sauce. You can use fresh or minced garlic, but fresh is always better.
- Flour wraps: These are thin flatbreads that are used to wrap the filling. You can use any size or flavor of flour wraps, such as whole wheat, spinach, or tomato.
- Spinach: This is a leafy green vegetable that has a mild and earthy flavor. It adds color and nutrition to the wraps. You can use baby spinach or regular spinach, washed and dried.
- Rotisserie chicken: This is chicken that has been roasted on a spit over an open fire or in an oven, which makes it tender and juicy. It adds protein and texture to the wraps. You can use cooked chopped rotisserie chicken from the store or make your own at home.
- Cherry tomatoes: These are small tomatoes that have a sweet and juicy flavor. They add freshness and acidity to the wraps. You can use any color or variety of cherry tomatoes, quartered.
- Fresh mozzarella: This is a soft cheese that has a mild and milky flavor. It adds creaminess and stretchiness to the wraps. You can use fresh mozzarella slices or balls, cut into smaller pieces.
How do you make Tuscan chicken wraps?
To make these wraps, you will need to follow these steps:
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan, oregano, scallion, and garlic until combined.
- Assemble the wraps: Spread one-quarter of the sauce onto one wrap, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Top with one-quarter of spinach, 1/2 cup chicken, 1 ounce cherry tomatoes, and 1 ounce mozzarella. Fold in the sides of the wrap, then roll up from the bottom, keeping the filling inside.
- Cook the wraps: Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add one wrap at a time and cook for 2 minutes per side or until golden and crisp. Cut into halves or quarters before serving.
Tips for making Tuscan chicken wraps
Here are some tips for making these wraps even better:
- You can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can also make the wraps ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat them in a skillet over medium heat or in a microwave until warm.
- You can customize the wraps by adding or swapping other ingredients, such as roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, pesto, or feta cheese.