Instagram, the popular photo and video sharing app owned by Meta, has announced a new feature that allows users to add song lyrics to their Reels, a feature previously only available for Stories. Users can tap the ‘+’ icon to create a Reel, select “Audio” to add a song, and swipe left to add lyrics. This will help users to express themselves more creatively and musically with their short videos.
The new feature was announced by Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, via the IG Updates channel on the app. He said that many people were manually adding lyrics to their Reels, so he hoped that this feature would make it easier to use music to express themselves. He also said that they were working on more updates to get creative on Reels, and asked users to stay tuned.
To use the new feature, users need to follow these simple steps:
- Open the Instagram app and tap the ‘+’ icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Reel” from the options and record or upload a video.
- Tap the “Audio” icon at the top of the screen and choose a song from the library or your own audio.
- Swipe left to see the lyrics of the song and adjust them to fit your video.
- You can also change the font, color, size, and position of the lyrics by tapping on them.
- Once you are done, you can add filters, stickers, text, and other effects to your Reel.
- Tap the “Next” button and share your Reel with your followers or the public.
Why This Feature Matters
The ability to add song lyrics to Reels is a valuable feature for users who want to merge their short video content with music, emotions, and storytelling. It can make their Reels more engaging, entertaining, and expressive. It can also help users to discover new songs and artists, as well as create trends and challenges with popular lyrics.
The feature also shows that Instagram is trying to compete with TikTok, the leading short video platform that has a huge library of songs and soundtracks. TikTok users can easily add lyrics to their videos, as well as sync their lip movements and gestures with the words. Instagram Reels, which was launched in 2020 as a response to TikTok’s popularity, has been adding more features and tools to attract and retain users.
What Else Is New on Reels
The addition of song lyrics to Reels is not the only new feature that Instagram has rolled out recently. The app has also launched new tools to make it easier for users to create and edit Reels, such as:
- Templates: Users can choose from a variety of templates that have pre-selected audio, effects, and transitions. They can then replace the images or videos with their own content and customize the Reel as they wish.
- Template Browser: Users can browse through different categories of templates, such as Recommended, Trending, and Saved, and find the one that suits their content and style.
- Auto-Text and Transitions: Users can automatically add text and transitions that match the audio and timing of their Reel. They can also edit the text and transitions manually if they want.
These features are aimed at making Reels more accessible and fun for users who may not have the time or skills to create elaborate videos. They also help users to explore new ways of expressing themselves and connecting with others on the app.