Riot Games, the developer of the popular multiplayer online battle arena game League of Legends, has revealed its plans for the upcoming season 2024, which will include a major crossover event with its hit animated series Arcane.
Arcane, the critically acclaimed League of Legends spin-off series, is set to return for its second season in November 2024, according to Riot Games and Netflix. The show, which premiered in November 2023, follows the origin stories of two of the game’s most iconic champions, Vi and Jinx, as they grow up in the divided city of Piltover and Zaun.
The first season of Arcane received rave reviews from critics and fans alike, winning four Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Animated Program. It also became the first streaming series to ever win that award. The show features a stellar voice cast, including Hailee Steinfeld as Vi, Ella Purnell as Jinx, and Katie Leung as Caitlyn.
The second season of Arcane will continue the story of the sisters and their allies and enemies, as well as introduce more champions from the game’s lore. The release date was confirmed during Geeked Week ’23, a virtual event hosted by Netflix to showcase its upcoming geeky shows and movies.
RiotX Arcane: A Cross-Game Celebration
To celebrate the return of Arcane, Riot Games has announced a cross-game event called RiotX Arcane, which will span across its five titles: League of Legends, League of Legends: Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics, and Valorant. The event will feature new content, rewards, and activities inspired by the show, as well as exclusive collaborations with other brands and creators.
Some of the highlights of the RiotX Arcane event are:
- League of Legends: The game will introduce a new champion, Echo, who is a young inventor from Zaun and a friend of Jinx. Echo will have a unique gameplay mechanic that allows him to rewind time and create clones of himself. The game will also add new skins, missions, and events based on Arcane.
- League of Legends: Wild Rift: The mobile version of the game will also welcome Echo as a new champion, as well as new skins and events. The game will also host a special tournament called the Arcane Cup, where players can compete for prizes and glory.
- Legends of Runeterra: The digital card game will add a new region, Piltover and Zaun, which will feature cards and mechanics based on the show’s characters and themes. The game will also have a new game mode, called the Arcane Lab, where players can experiment with different combinations of cards and rules.
- Teamfight Tactics: The auto-battler game will launch a new set, called Hextech Revolution, which will feature new champions, traits, and items from the show. The game will also have a new pass, called the Arcane Pass, which will offer exclusive rewards and cosmetics.
- Valorant: The tactical shooter game will have a limited-time mode, called the Arcane Mode, where players can use special abilities and weapons from the show. The game will also have a new map, called the Undercity, which is based on the slums of Zaun. The game will also have new skins, sprays, and charms inspired by Arcane.
Riot Games’ Ambitious Plans for 2024 and Beyond
The RiotX Arcane event is part of Riot Games’ ambitious plans for 2024 and beyond, as the company aims to expand its universe and reach new audiences. The company has also announced other projects, such as:
- Project L: A fighting game set in the League of Legends universe, which will feature some of the game’s most popular champions and a new gameplay system. The game is expected to launch in late 2024 or early 2025.
- Project F: A massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the League of Legends universe, which will allow players to explore the world of Runeterra and create their own stories and adventures. The game is still in early development and has no release date yet.
- Project A: A live-action movie based on the League of Legends universe, which will be produced by Riot Games and Legendary Pictures. The movie will focus on the origins of Ashe, one of the game’s original champions and the leader of the Frostguard tribe. The movie is slated to release in 2025.
- Project B: A comic book series based on the League of Legends universe, which will be published by Riot Games and Marvel Comics. The series will feature stories and artwork from some of the industry’s top talent, and will explore the backgrounds and motivations of some of the game’s most beloved and hated characters. The series will debut in 2024.
Riot Games is also working on other initiatives, such as improving its game quality, diversity, and accessibility, as well as supporting its esports scene, community, and social impact. The company hopes to deliver more engaging and immersive experiences for its fans and players, and to establish itself as a leader in the gaming and entertainment industry.