The Internet of Senses Institute (IoSI), a platform for the convergence of thought leadership around the development of digitized human senses, has released its August 2023 newsletter. The newsletter features the latest news, research, events, and podcasts related to the five senses — hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch.
The IoSI podcasts are a series of interviews with experts, inventors, and enthusiasts who are passionate about emerging technologies and research connected to the five senses. In the August 2023 edition, the IoSI podcast hosts talked to:
- Dr. Ana Catarina Araujo, a neuroscientist and co-founder of NeuroReality, a startup that develops immersive virtual reality (VR) experiences that stimulate multiple senses and enhance cognitive abilities.
- Prof. David Eagleman, a neuroscientist and best-selling author of The Brain: The Story of You and Livewired: The Inside Story of the Ever-Changing Brain. He is also the creator of the Vest, a wearable device that translates sound into tactile patterns on the skin, allowing deaf people to perceive speech and music.
- Valentine James, the CEO of the Internet of Senses Institute and a visionary leader in the field of digitized human senses. He shared his predictions for the next trends in metaverse technology and how the Internet of Senses will transform the way we interact with the digital world.
You can listen to the IoSI podcasts on their website or on your favorite podcast platform.
IoSI Research Highlights: Cutting-Edge Projects on Digitized Human Senses
The IoSI newsletter also showcases some of the most innovative and groundbreaking research projects on digitized human senses from around the world. Some of the highlights from August 2023 are:
- FeetThrough: Electrotactile Foot Interface that Preserves Real-World Sensations. This project, developed by researchers from the University of Tokyo and Keio University, is a novel foot interface that uses electrical stimulation to create realistic sensations of walking on different surfaces, such as grass, sand, or water, in VR environments.
- Smell-O-Vision: A System for Scent Delivery in 360° Videos. This project, developed by researchers from the University of Sussex and the University of Bristol, is a system that synchronizes scents with 360° videos, creating a more immersive and multisensory experience for the viewers. The system uses a scent dispenser that can release up to 10 different scents and a head-mounted display that tracks the user’s head orientation and position.
- Taste+ : A Tongue Interface that Enhances Virtual Eating Experiences. This project, developed by researchers from the National University of Singapore and the University of Electro-Communications, is a tongue interface that can modify the taste of food by applying electrical and thermal stimulation to the tongue. The interface can enhance the flavor, texture, and temperature of virtual food, making it more realistic and enjoyable.
IoSI Events: Upcoming Opportunities to Learn and Connect with the IoSI Community
The IoSI newsletter also informs the readers about the upcoming events that are organized or sponsored by the IoSI. These events are great opportunities to learn more about the latest developments and trends in the field of digitized human senses, as well as to network and collaborate with other members of the IoSI community. Some of the upcoming events in September 2023 are:
- IoSI Webinar: How to Design Multisensory Experiences for the Metaverse. This webinar, hosted by the IoSI, will feature a panel of experts who will share their insights and tips on how to design and create multisensory experiences for the metaverse, the collective virtual shared space that encompasses VR, augmented reality (AR), and the Internet. The webinar will take place on September 10, 2023, at 10:00 AM (EST).
- IoSI Workshop: Hands-on Introduction to the Vest, a Wearable Device that Translates Sound into Touch. This workshop, sponsored by the IoSI, will offer a hands-on introduction to the Vest, a wearable device that translates sound into tactile patterns on the skin, allowing deaf people to perceive speech and music. The workshop will be led by Prof. David Eagleman, the creator of the Vest, and will cover the basics of how the device works, how to use it, and how to customize it. The workshop will take place on September 17, 2023, at 2:00 PM (EST).
- IoSI Conference: The Future of Digitized Human Senses. This conference, organized by the IoSI, will bring together the leading researchers, innovators, and practitioners in the field of digitized human senses. The conference will feature keynote speeches, panel discussions, poster sessions, and demos on topics such as VR, AR, haptics, olfaction, gustation, and brain-computer interfaces. The conference will take place on September 24-25, 2023, at the Hilton Hotel in New York City.
If you are interested in attending any of these events, you can register on the IoSI website.
IoSI Newsletter: Stay Updated on the Latest News and Trends on Digitized Human Senses
The IoSI newsletter is a monthly publication that delivers the latest news, research, events, and podcasts related to the five senses — hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch. The newsletter is free and easy to subscribe to. All you need to do is to enter your email address on the IoSI website and you will receive the newsletter in your inbox every month.
The IoSI newsletter is a great way to stay updated on the state-of-the-art technology and research on digitized human senses, as well as to learn from and connect with the IoSI community. If you are curious about the future of digitized human senses and how they will shape the way we interact with the digital world, you should definitely subscribe to the IoSI newsletter today.